1. What is the proper goal of education, according
2. Why does DuBois think that it is particularly
important for African Americans to receive higher education?
3. DuBois admits that technical training may be the
most appropriate for many people, but he nonetheless argues that
even this type of training is dependent on higher education. Why?
4. DuBois suggests that much education goes on outside
the classroom, but he believes that this type of learning is also
dependent on higher education. Explain.
5. What does DuBois think are the major problems with
Booker T. Washington's position?
1. What does DuBois mean by the term higher education? Why does
he think it is so important?
2. Compare and contrast DuBois and Washington on the
importance of economic factors to human life.
3. DuBois is an aristocrat and Washington a democrat.