1.How does Aristotle define magnanimity? Why does he call it "a
sort of crown of the virtues"?
2. How according to Aristotle is magnanimity a mean between two
extremes? What defects do the vanity and smallness of soul share?
3. How does Aristotle describe the moderate person? What virtues
does he share with the magnanimous one?
4. What is the relation between magnanimity and honor?
5. What is the magnanimous person's attitude toward good and bad
fortune? How is this consistent with his magnanimity?
6. What is the magnanimous person's attitude toward dangers? How
is this consistent with his magnanimity?
7. What is the magnanimous person's attitude toward benefitting
others and receiving benefits? How is this consistent with his magnanimity?
8. What virtues and vices do Thetis and Zeus manifest in the story
about them that Aristotle mentions?
9. Why does the magnanimous person tell the truth? What does his
truthfulness indicate about his character?
1. Smallness of soul is a literal translation of a term that is
sometimes translated as "humility." How accurate is the
latter translation? What is the difference between Aristotle's small-souled
person and a truly humble individual? What is the difference between
Aristotle's magnanimous person and a truly humble individual?
2. Would Tocqueville be satisfied with Aristotle's description
of magnanimity as a way of encouraging ambition in times of equality?
3. What assumptions about human nature does Aristotle's definitions
of the virtue of magnanimity and its corresponding vices imply?
Are they more consistent with Rousseau's or Jefferson's?
4. What criticisms might Jefferson and Rousseau voice concerning
the magnanimous character that Aristotle describes?
5. Does the self-regard of Aristotle's magnanimous individual more
closely resemble Rousseau's concept of self-love (amour de soi)
or selfishness (amour-propre)? How does it overlap yet
differ from both?
6. Is there any common ground concerning the desirability of freedom
and self-reliance between Aristotle and Rousseau? How are they alike
and different on this issue?